Monday, December 15, 2014

Why give when we have nothing?

If there is one thing that I want to achieve in my lifetime is to wake up all the goodness in a person's heart.

Almost daily, I posted in Facebook about things, people, and situations that may arouse people's interest to extend a helping hand. Some people will respond, but most of the times, they ignored.

The golden opportunities to take some actions may not come back to them again, and I am therefore thankful for people who respond positively every time.

For example, the overwhelming support for "Baby Diyang," the child who survived the Eid Massacre in Lumapid Talipao last July 28 this year, was heartwarming.

It proved that people had not gone so heartless that they would continually ignore opportunities to do good things for other people.



But, surely, persuading people to do good things for others is troublesome today, especially from someone who is not so good in public speaking. Whenever I am forced to talk in public, for example, I stammer, falter badly, and would seem to always forget what I would be saying next.



My speeches would always end in a matter of seconds, 30 seconds at most. Then, I'll go back to my seat, my eyes fixed on the floor, my cheeks colored with shyness, my forehead dotted with sweats.

Fortunately, it is not only speaking in public that we can share our love for people, especially those who are needy.

I know, I am also one of the needy, and so I know the feeling how it is to be poor, but I already learn to love my simple lifestyle, away from public attention and scrutiny.

I, and my family of four, live together in my parents' home together with a lot of extended families. Here, we relish the time we share meals, which are sometimes given by neighbors, every day. The “tamban” and the “piyutu,” the most cherished ones.

We relish getting wet inside our home when it rains, and we play on the pool of water while we wipe it away. We relish watching the stars from our kitchen through the holes on the roof.

But despite our poverty, we still try to share blessing with other people, and make a difference on their lives.

My uncle told me once: "Why are you doing those things you are doing? Aren't you needy, too?"

"You should have used your talent for your personal gain," he said. "Why not approach politicians and get a job?"

And so I told him: "How about you uncle? I didn't see you going to your politician friends and ask something for them, too."

He said: "I am shy."

"And so, we are just the same," I concluded.

Doing good things for others may get a little expensive sometimes, and my own income is not always enough for funding our varied activities. But I am still doing it because it is my passion. I just love seeing smiling faces, those little gestures of gratefulness.

But the more compelling reason why I am doing what I am doing is that: I had already received a big chunks of goodness from other people. It is just fitting that I share it to others, too.

In a "pay-it-forward" principle, let the goodness ripples like the waves of the sea. And hope that all people's heart would open up to do good things for others, also.

For after all, helping others is not the monopoly of the rich people. Selfless service for others is sometimes more rewarding than giving your money out.


2 comments:

ahmad said...

MashaAllah. May Allah reward you and your family in this dunya and the akhira Ameen.

THose smiles you witnessed are worth more than any riches in this world :)
How I hope I could already be part of that adventure you have kah Ewave..

Noenyrie said...

Thank you, Utuh. I forgot how to login to this again. 😅